Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm a travelin' fool! Part 1

Family and friends, for the last two weeks, instead of being totally lame and doing my customary nothing for the weekend, I took trips! That's right, trips. Plural. Week 1, also known as Mother's Day Weekend, I went with my roommate, her sister, and two friends to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA, the "Most Beautiful Amusement Park in the World." I'm not sure who awarded Busch Gardens this high honor. Amusement park connoisseurs? Beauty experts? A survey of disgruntled former Six Flags employees? No matter-it really is very pretty, and has some excellent roller coasters. It also has some terrifying roller coasters, including one that I refused to ride all together. Instead, I went to see the Secret Lives of Predators show with the only male person in our group (they had wolves! and a super cute fox. When it came out, everyone said, "Aw!). I'm pretty sure we enjoyed the predators and a funnel cake more than the others could possibly have enjoyed looking death in the face and then having a heart attack on the way down.

Anywhos, as illustrated by the previous comment, the most fun part of Busch Gardens was the shows! We saw a really excellent Irish dance show, which included a sweet dance battle between some Irish dancers and some tap dancers, as well as some fantastic drinking songs. The lady sitting in front of us really took the drinking songs to heart-she was literally falling over drunk during the show. Good times!

Another fun show took place in the Festhaus, where we ate lunch (everyone but me got sausage. I got the turkey sandwich, which was delicious, and had the added benefit of at least seeming healthy). During our lunch, a band came out, as well as some nice boys in lederhosen and girls in whatever the name is for the female equivalent of lederhosen. They danced and sang (some drinking songs). And then the piece de resistance:





Yes, that is in fact moi, dancing the polka with a man wearing lederhosen. Never let it be said that Meredith is a party pooper! Nay, Meredith is awesome! This lovely picture is the only evidence (aside from eye witness reports) that said dance ever occurred. Christian, the photographer, apparently tried to take video, but the fates smiled upon me, and it didn't work. Huzzah. Honestly, compared with this, everything else that happened on this trip seems a little bit anticlimactic. So here is where I will leave you.

Until Part 2!

Edited to Add: Some Doubting Chelseas on Facebook seemed skeptical that this was me. It is most certainly me!  Here's what happened. As I was innocently enjoyed the aforementioned turkey sandwich, the lederhosened came into the crowd to polka with audience members. Mostly very small children. And one or two super foxy grownups. So lederhosen man comes up to me and says, "Do you want to dance with me?" Me: "Um..." My friends: "Do it!!!" Me: "I will destroy your lives!!!" Polka, polka, polka, the rest is history.

5 comments:

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

This is me (picture, if you can): Read, read, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Read, read, read "HAHAHAHA!" Read, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
That is awesome!" That's exactly how the reading of this post went.

Unknown said...

Way to go you polka dancing queen!!! I definitely believe it is in fact you in the picture. Sounds like a great time!

Diedra Mahaffey said...

YOU GO GIRL!! Never let it be said that my Meredith passed on a good polka!... I think they wrote a song about you.."I hope you dance!" proud of you! Keep having fun- we are all enjoying it vicariously thru you!
love, a.diedra

Ken said...

10-14 Female equivelant to leaderhosen = Trachten.
We put Nathan in a tiny pair of leaderhosen we he was like three and he refused to walk. It was funny...not that I blame him they look awfull chafie.

Meredith said...

Wow, thanks Richard! I didn't expect to learn something new while reading my comments, but now I know!