Tuesday, July 12, 2011

More Harry Potter, aka "I'm not sick of it yet, and you shouldn't be either!"

Besides, faithful readers, the last Harry Potter movie ever is coming out this week. I think that deserves celebrating/crying. Which is why my roommate Kate and I just had an excellent Harry Potter party at our house, called, appropriately, "End of an Era." Sniff. But this isn't a post about being sad. It's a post about being awesome!

First and foremost awesome: the food! As any good HP fan knows, the food described in Harry Potter sounds both magical and delicious. So we put on our aprons and slaved away like house elves to make some delicious snacks. We had the ever popular pumpkin pasties, cockcroach free (probably) cockcroach clusters, and licorice wands. We also had toad-in-the-hole, which was extremely popular, if only for the fact that it was our only snack not completely stuffed with sugar. Also, sausage is good. And of course, we had delicious beverages. The pumpkin juice was delightful (I keep drinking the leftovers), and the Butterbeer was so rich and delicious that one diabetic guest had to take insulin after drinking it. Good times. I'm not sure that it was as good as the Butterbeer we got at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but this was our first time making it. We shall persevere! But not too soon. The Butterbeer hangover is unpleasant.

 Finally, a chance to reuse my Butterbeer mug!
 Mmmm...Snacks...

Second and probably even more awesome: the costumes! We had a lot of muggles show up to the shindig, which was a little lame, but the people who did dress up brought it! And of course, since it was a contest that I was determined to win, I think you'll be pleased to know that I came in...second. But the girl who won was very deserving. I voted for her. Plus, I think I'm still the real winner, because I got the awesome lion hat.
 Dobby (Sabrina) is a free elf! Behold the winner.
 It's Cho Chang (Nella), y'all! Most authentic costume?
 Professor Trelawney(Jessie)! She did not tell any weird fortunes. Unfortunately.
 Madam Rosmerta (Kate) is sassy! And she's the best cook in the ward!
 Harry Potter (Zefron) and Hedwig. Can you believe no one else dressed as Harry? Also, note his yellow eyebrow, a joke that not a single other person there understood.
Yours truly as Luna Lovegood! I will probably not wear this hat to the movie. It's a bit too tall. And warm.
 
Look at all those muggles! It's shocking! And these were just the early arrivals!

Third, and pretty awesome: we watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. That's mostly so we'll be totally ready this Friday to watch the final film installment. Sniff.

Last, and most awesome of all: We are popular! We had more than 20 people come to our party (more than attended the ward activity earlier in the day. Sorry, ward! I couldn't come because I was working!). But the really amazing thing was how many of the people were not even Harry Potter fans. They are, of course, crazy. But the point is, these people who have never read the books (or only read 1) and only seen 1 or 2 of the films still totally wanted to hang out with us. Because we're cool. Yeah, we make this look good!

 Group shot! 
Back row, L-R: Madam Rosmerta, Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter, Professor Trelawney, Cho Chang
Front row, L-R: Hedwig, Dobby

3 comments:

Emily said...

It was fun! And now I have so many unanswered questions about the world of Harry Potter. Someday I will read the books or watch the movies!

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

I wish I could have gone. But you have totally inspired me to throw our very own HP party! I already told Jonas we are going to, so I HAVE to follow through. So send me your most magically delicious recipes, baby, 'cuz we gon' partay!

Jessie H. said...

Who could ever be sick of Harry Potter? Hopefully Rowling's Pottermore will feel the hole that will be left.