Thursday, July 10, 2008

Feets of strength

I recently went on a DC adventure with my roommate Niki, and we had a fabulous time. It was a walking tour of many of the monuments. We started off at the Jefferson.


Here's me in front of the monument. And here's me and Jefferson himself:

From there, we had a nice view of the Washington Monument.
Then we went on the the World War II memorial. At this point, we are both extremely hot and sweaty, and about to die. The humidity was like 70% or something. So all grossness in pictures must be blamed on that.
Luckily, we could splash each other from the fountains a bit to cool down. Then we were off again toward the other monuments. We had to walk past the famous reflecting pool.
Then we went to the Vietnam memorial. Everyone was very quiet and respectful there, much more so than at any other monument.
After that, it was on to the Land Of Lincoln! No, not Illinois, the Lincoln Monument. Here's me with Lincoln himself!
Look at all your new pennies, I might be there! And here's me outside the monument:


From there, we went to the Korean War Monument. By this time, I'm way tired, but it's a very cool monument anyway. I took this picture in honor of MASH.

I also thought this was arty and cool, but at the same time, really touching. It's a sobering place.


Finally, we went to the World War I memorial. Hardly anyone was there, but it was probably my favorite one. It's really beautiful and isolated.


And just to prove to you that I didn't go by myself (aside from all the pictures of me taken from far away), here's Niki in the WWI memorial.

This was our last stop. We headed back home after this. We were both really sweaty and totally rank smelling, plus we had blisters on these:


Thanks for taking this walking tour with me. I had a blast, and I hope you did too!

5 comments:

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

Wow, your feet look real good in all those pictures! And I totally felt like I was walking right along next to you on this walking tour of destiny. Maybe someday I REALLy will be! Huzzah!

Anonymous said...

Mer, I love you. You are so awesome. The feet picture is such an awesome Idea. I love it (and may steal it from you.) Keep blogging.

Diedra Mahaffey said...

Wow Mer- I just viewed your blog today for the first time... I MISS YOU !!! you just made me lonesome for all those fun Utah times... Hope you and Lindsay can get together at some point.... Her blog is: sillysanders.blogspot.com
Love you
Aunt Diedra

Tiffany said...

Hello! I finally got the link to your blog, thanks to Becca and NOT by Chelsea AT ALL. (Chels was supposed to tell it to me ages ago). Or maybe it was on her blog and I just didn't notice. That's beside the point. Your blog is great! I'm gonna be in New York City Aug 9-13. You guys should come and we'll do something fun.

Unknown said...

HEY!!! IT'S ME!!!! :D I feel so famous now that I am mentioned...nay, PICTURED, in your totally awesome blog!!! *HAPPY DANCE!!!*