Thursday, September 3, 2009

If Home is Where the Heart is, Then Your Real Home's in Your Chest

As evidenced by the title of this post, I have been a wee bit homesick lately. It's a real kick in the pants. I feel like Bilbo Baggins: "I want to see mountains, Gandalf, mountains!" But today, something happened that made me feel slightly better. I checked out a book at the library, and the due date is October 1!!!!! That's right, mes amis, the best (for obvious reasons) month of the year is almost here! In a month!

This means several things.
1) I can start decorating for Halloween soon! I'm thinking tomorrow.
2) It's almost my birthday! Start saving your pennies, shoppers!
3) The weather has been cool and should (theoretically) remain that way!
3a) Sweater weather!
4) Fall TV season starts next week!
-4b) I don't have any TV, so I have to watch everything online, on my increasingly slow laptop. Boo!

Okay, so that last one is lame. And even the good ones don't completely combat the feeling of ennui. But, I am attempting to harness the power of positive thinking. So, you will get only smiles from me! And brief, bitter asides.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Mer! Laura wants to decorate for Halloween today too.I said no, but now I'm thinking that maybe we could put out some autumn stuff. I mean just because its freaking hot here, doesn't mean that its not cooling down in other places. Let us celebrate that! Love ya!

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

Haven't you had that laptop for like 3 or 4 years? In human years that laptop is at least 60, but probably 80... so yeah, I can see why it wants to run a little slower and shine a little dimmer. Also, if it makes you feel any better, the weather here is horrible... we just can't get out of the 90's. I hate the 90's. I know everyone will pitch a fit, but Washington weather really is the best. Always sweater weather.

michele84084 said...

Ugg! I'm with you. No more heat and dryness. Give me some nice, crisp fall weather. Sorry you're home sick. Is there a visit in sight?

Ken said...

Ahem..... I hate to correct you where a book is concerned and would only dare to do so when Tolkien is concerned. However Bilbo was at home when he said he wanted to see the mountains and was feeling he needed another adventure. You are on an adventure feeling home sick so I believe that Bilbo saying," It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to" might be a good one. Or maybe just I miss my nice warm hobbit hole. Well happy soon to be October hope you have a good one and are not to lonely.

Meredith said...

Good call, Richard. That totally works in this situation. Thanks!