Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Freak. How Rude!

I know, it was way harsh to call you all freaks like that right off, but it's something I've been thinking about. I am currently reading this book called Candyfreak. It's a nonfiction book written by a guy who's a freak about candy. He loves it. A lot. Seriously. He says in the introduction that he's eaten at least one piece of candy everyday of his life. He thinks about candy at least once every hour. And he always has 3-7 pounds of candy at his house (not counting the bulk quantities of his favorite candies that he bought when he thought they might be discontinued). Clearly, he's a candyfreak. And there isn't necessarily a logical explanation for why he loves candy so much.

I decided to apply his theory of freaks to my own life the other day when someone asked me why I love High School Musical so much. The simple answer-I don't know. Sure, it's fun, bubbly, all singing, all dancing, etc. But I don't have that level of devotion to other musicals. Sure, it's got Zac Efron, but I don't even have that level of devotion to his other musical (that would be Hairspray, of course. It's very good. I love it a lot. But I'm not a Hairspray freak).

So I guess the slightly more complex answer is that we all have things we're freaks for. I know people who are freaks for the Steelers, Douglas Adams, cows, motorcycles, Precious Moments, digital cameras, spicy peppers, and the BBC. Do I like all of these things? No. But I think I understand. And I'm certainly not going to judge anyone. Nope. I'll be too busy, wrapped up in my High School Musical blanket, having a High School Musical marathon, eating snacks out of my High School Musical lunchbox, wearing my High School Musical charm necklace, writing about my crush on Zac Efron in my High School Musical diary, gazing at my High School Musical digital photo frame, brushing my hair with my High School Musical hairbrush, and making grocery lists for more snacks on my High School Musical white board.

What a freak.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Did I tell you how happy your blog makes me? 2 Christmases ago my dad tried to get my 16 year old sister a nice singing toothbrush for her birthday, and thought he was getting a High School Musical one, when in fact she received a Vanessa Hudgens 'baby come back to me' singing tooth brush... you can imagine how that made her freak!! Seriously, I am talking crocodile tears. I mean but seriously who wouldn't react the same way, right?

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

You're right...to a degree. I really do believe that everyone in the world BUT me is a freak about something. I am too tired and/or boring to have too much zeal about anything. I think. Mayhaps I have not as of yet stumbled upon my 'freak' achilles heel. I'm not sure whether or not I hope that is true. Regardless, I thought your post was both thought provoking and hi-"freak"in-larious (Get it? Do you, huh?).

Mom at Our House said...

So I actually think about this all the time. I have always thought about it in the terms of everyone has an addiction, not that they are freaks, but I need to change from addictions to freaks. I like that better

R and A said...

I've been sitting here trying to think what I am a freak about. I think it is Extreme Moosetracks Icecream. YUM!

Unknown said...

The end of this blog can now include..."and gaze lovingly at your Zac Efron cardboard cut-out. *dreamy sigh*...."