Friday, July 30, 2010

Harry Freakin' Potter!

Many things are happening this weekend: Mom's birthday, friend Niki's birthday--you're both awesome! Maren and Dave's anniversary: Many happy returns! Baltimore's birthday: it's old! National Dance Day: I refuse to celebrate this holiday, in spite of my love of SYTYCD! But I always kind of think of this as Harry Potter weekend. We are celebrating the birth of Neville Longbottom, Harry Potter, and J.K. Rowling! How awesome for everyone else to have birthdays/anniversaries at such a cool time!

Lately, I've been feeling very nostaligic about HP, so here, in tribute, is my Harry Potter timeline of awesome.

1999: Daddy brings home Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone from school. I read the first 3 books, and a love affair is born. Oh, Prisoner of Azkaban. You are so wonderful!

2000: I stay up late into the night reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Many tears are shed, and my feverish wait for book 5 begins.

2001: My thirst for Harry is somewhat abated by the release of the first film. It's no HP book, but the three main kids are cute and a half, so I can't complain. More movies are released over the years. Number 3 is the most excellent.

2003: We host our first ever Harry Potter party with only a hour or two in preparation. It's totally awesome, and ends with Chelsea being crowned Harry Potter. Lucky! I also read Order of the Phoenix and am slightly daunted by Harry's bad (but understandable) attitude.

2004: In a fit of insanity, Annalee and I decide that two family weddings are not enough to keep us busy in the summer, so we plan an epic HP party, complete with invitations sealed with wax, Diagon Alley, potions class, and a backyard Quidditch match.

2005: While waiting with a large group of adults (all of whom are wearing cloaks and carrying wands) to pick up Half-Blood Prince, some haters drive by and yell, "Harry Potter sucks!" Without losing a beat, we raise our wands and in unison yell, "Crucio!" We all feel guilty for using an unforgivable curse but agree that it was justified.

2007: The end? After attending an excellent costume party and reading in a feverish rush, I finish the final Harry Potter book. I cry. A lot.

2009: After two sad and lonely years, A Very Potter Musical is posted on YouTube by Team Starkid. Bless them. Tap-dancing Voldemort, guitar-playing Harry, Rumbleroar, a boss Zefron poster. More wonderfulness than can be told in just one blog post.


2010: Team Starkid does it again with A Very Potter Sequel. While it's not as good as the original, it provides many laughs and inspire my current quest: reread all the Harry Potter books! And later this year, the first half of Deathly Hallows is coming to theaters! Signs point to excellent!

Thanks for 11 great years, Harry Potter! Here's to many more!

3 comments:

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

I felt so nostalgic reading this post, Mer. It reminded me of some darn, darn good times. Like those plucky Gilmore gals, I feel like I am a close, personal friend to the whole Harry Potter gang...and I'm dead serious. How weird that you can feel like you are best friends with fictional characters. Props to good writers who make us feel that way and may their be a next Harry Potter type phenomenon...the journey is worth the pain in the end. :)

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

And by "may their be a next" I really meant "may THERE be a next."

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning my Burfday. I am quite fortunate to have been born on the same day as J.K. Rowling AND Harry Potter!
So much amazing coolness on one day, I think we should have an international fiesta every year in commemoration. What say you?
All in all, love the post! Good summer reading fun! :D